MAD-MAN

Kicking Shyster's Arses Is A Laudable Life's Work!

02 March 2011

WALNUT CREEK SPORTS AND FITNESS CLUB COME-ON SCAM!

This shyster establishment is neither "friendly" nor welcoming no matter how many contrived reviews its patronising sycophants post at YELP!
But its FALSE ADVERTISING SCAM deliberately misrepresents its "services," fails to disclose in advance full and complete terms for accepting its "Free 7-Day Pass" trial, and automatically treats potential clients as suspected cheats throughout one of the weirdest and most bizarre encounters ever experienced anyplace!
"Free 7-Day Pass, Experience the way a sport & fitness club feels" is this shyster establishment's con-jobbing come-on at its website.
Tuesday afternoon I go to the front desk, asking to speak to someone about signing up for their "7-Day Pass," and their punk flunky--whom I've never laid eyes on before in my life--looking at me inexplicably leery-eyed.
"Fill this out, take a seat over there," the punk flunky curtly directs me, handing me an information card, gesturing to some lounge chairs, "and someone will be with you shortly."
I sit down at a table, not taking kindly being issued smug commands by punk flunkys. 
No sooner did I get my name printed did this older, severe-looking biddy appear, hovering over me ominously; understandably she's the sole member of their so-called "management staff" to post no photograph of herself at their website.
"I'm Jeanne Spatola," she announces in the most pompous manner possible, "Sales and Marketing Director."
"Good afternoon," I say, introducing myself.
Their front desk punk flunky "thinks he's seen you before," she says with an automatically accusatory tone.
"I've never set foot inside this place before today," I say quite emphatically.
"I have to check it out," she counters gruffly.
"I've never set foot inside this place before today," I repeat, conspicuously perturbed.  "And this is a bad sign that my word's being doubted."
'It's not that," Ms Spatula soft-soaps, "I have other people to answer to."
She retreats to her office to "run" my name through their computers and--lo and behold!--she discovers my name and address in their database so clearly I must be trying to "cheat" them by trying to abuse their paltry "7-Day Pass" come-on.
"My name's in YOUR system?" I ask, aghast, with Ms Spatula madly bobbing her rather ugly head.
It readily dawns on me and I promptly demystify the rather insipid mystery by explaining to Ms Spatula the blandest facts: TWO YEARS PREVIOUS my WIFE visited their shyster establishment, scoping out the gym for me before we relocated, took their tour and filled out information cards for BOTH OF US since they were pressing her to join on some spouse-"special." She never worked out at the joint either.
NONE of that changed the most excruciatingly simple of FACTS: Up to this present Tuesday I had NEVER EVER BEFORE SET FOOT IN THE FRIGGIN' PLACE MUCH LESS WORKED OUT THERE ON ANY PASS PAST OR PRESENT!
That fact having finally sunk in to Ms Spatula's rather still ugly-rearing head I was presently turned over to an over-zealously, robotically smiling membership sales rep, Keegan, who was all aglow with giddy glee as he gave me the grand tour, falsely promising me that after I left he'd enter me "into the system," activate my "7-Day Pass" and all I'd need to do to enter the facility over the next week would be to show my "driver's license" ID.
Tuesday night(my first planned "pass" trip)I was unable to go so I emailed Keegan via their website "info" contact, notifying him.
Wednesday night I did indeed work out for a couple hours(between roughly 9-11pm), getting admitted without incident by a rather friendly if chubby front desk receptionist. Once more I emailed Keegan via their website "info" contact, complimenting my first impressions of the facility, but telling him that I'd get in touch at the first of the next month of March about whether I'd definitely decide to join--and not to bother calling me on Saturday(over the weekend)as he'd indicated he would in a previous voicemail message.
That was the first, only and last voicemail message I'd received from good 'ole smiley Keegan.
Thursday night I foot it to the shyster establishment in the friggin' RAIN to work out on what's supposed to be just the second day of my clearly precious "7-Day Pass."
At the reception desk I introduce myself and my intention, expecting no undue difficulty, when this uppity biddy smugly tells me, "You're not in my system and you HAVE to call JEANNE in MEMBERSHIP."
What for?  "I worked out here last night," I inform the biddy.
"I'm aware of that!" she snaps, contorting her face into increasing ugliness.  "But you're not in my system.  So UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY $18...," her voice trails off, leaving the unspoken sentiment quite blatant: you can just get lost and stop making a nuisance of yourself, you're interrupting the crucial chit-chatting I was just doing with more important club members hanging out at the front desk.
Point IS: JEANNE is the smug, self-important "sales&marketing DI-RECTOR," not "Member Services." It was REMARKABLY RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS TO RED-FLAG MY PHONY 7-DAY PASS WITHOUT THE FIRST FOREWARNING OR EXPLANATION WHATEVER--NOT EVEN THE COMMON COURTESY OR DECENCY OF A VOICEMAIL MESSAGE, COMPELLING ME TO SHOW UP ONLY TO BE RUDELY REJECTED ADMITTANCE!
This false advertising SCAM shall be REPORTED&EXPOSED!
"Find Your Reason," reads their latest scam come-on: yeah, find your reason to avoid this dump like the plague!